The Tennessee Cattlemen’s Association (TCA) awarded eight individuals for their hard work and dedication to the beef cattle industry during the 34th Annual Tennessee Cattlemen’s Convention and Trade Show in Murfreesboro on January 25, 2019.
These awards were created to recognize outstanding individuals in the various sectors of the cattle industry in Tennessee. Nominated by their peers, the awards presented recognized individuals who have excelled in stocker and cow-calf production, educational programs, business, and service to the beef cattle industry.
“Our award winners represent the best of our industry,” said Charles Hord, executive vice president of TCA. “One common theme among all our winners this year was service. They believed in helping their communities, the youth and their fellow cattle producers. We are lucky to have individuals such as these in our association.”
The award winners were as follows:
- Dr. Emmit Rawls Outstanding Stocker Producer Award: Blake Holder – Hartsville, TN
- Dr. Clyde Lane Outstanding Cow-Calf Producer Award: Greg Buckner – Ten Mile, TN
- Dr. Jim Neel Outstanding Work in Beef Extension Educational Programs Award: Larry Mitchell – Meigs County
- Business Person of the Year: Steve Medlin – Cookeville, TN
- Outstanding FFA Beef Program: Rod Barnes – Selmer, TN
- TCA President’s Award: Lauren Neale, Director of Communications for TCA
- John Bartee Distinguished Service Award: Lafayette Williams – Knoxville, TN
- TCA Legislator of the Year: Rep. David Kustoff – United States House of Representatives for Tennessee’s 8th Congressional Distric
These individuals were presented a commemorative plaque during the Awards Luncheon, which was attended by near 1,000 convention attendees
TCA looks forward to working with these individuals and other great people in the cattle industry for years to come. Applications for next year’s awards will be available in the fall of 2019.